Schloss Willigrad was built 1896-1898 commissioned by John Albert Duke of Mecklenburg, brother of the Grand Duke Frederick Francis III, after designs of Albrecht Haupt.
In the frontfaçade are five roundels with terracotta portrait reliefs of Duke John Albert, his brother, his wife and his wife's parents.
- friedrich franz iii grossherzog v mecklenburg - Friedrich Franz III Großherzog zu Mecklenburg-Schwerin / Frederick Francis III, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Ludwigslust 1851 - Cannes 1897), Grand Duke of Mecklenburg, 1883-1897 - brother of Duke John Albert
- johann albrecht herzog zu mecklenburg - Johann Albrecht, Herzog zu Mecklenburg-Schwerin / Duke John Albert of Mecklenburg (Schwerin 1857 - Schloss Wiligrad 1920), builder of Schloss Wiligrad; from 1897 to 1901 he was regent of Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin for his nephew Frederick Francis IV
- elisabeth herzogin zu mecklenburg h.z.s. - Elisabeth von Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach (Weimar 1854 - Schloss Wiligrad 1908), wife of Duke John Albert.
- karl alexander grossherzog v sachsen - Karl Alexander Großherzog von Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach
(Weimar 1818 - Weimar 1901), father-in-law of Duke John Albert
- sophie grossherzogin v sachsen kgl prinzes d niederld. - Prinzessin Sophie von Oranien-Nassau / Princess Sophie of the Netherlands (Den Haag 1824 - Weimar 1897), wife of Charles Alexander of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, mother-in-law of Duke John Albert.
(Johann Albert): Muller ?
- Unknown artist. Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.
Sources & Information
Location (N 53°44'22" - E 11°26'5")
Unfortunately, due to high costs, it is no longer possible to display the map directly. Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: demv219; Photograph: 6 August 2016
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.