Deutschland

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Rostock
Hansestadt Rostock

Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

Beginenberg / Glockengießerhof

Glockengießer

Bell-founder

Thomas Jastram
2008

Rostock /  Glockengießer   Rostock /  Glockengießer

Description

Statuette of a bell-founder

Information Sign

Glockengießerhof
Die Gießer gehörten zu den ältesten Gewerken Rostocks. Unter
den Bürgern werden Kannen- und Grapengießer bereits Mitte
des 13. Jahrhunderts erwähnt. Jedoch das Gießen großer Stücke
überließ man meist wandernden Spezialisten, die für die Erle-
digung ihres Auftrages den städtischen Gießhof pachteten. Auf
dem Hinterhof der am Beginenberg gelegenen Ratsschmiede
gab es bereits 1696 einen solchen. Im Jahre 1812 wurde er ver-
kauft. Gießereien sowie Kalkbrennereien siedelten sich an. Als
die Enge des Hofes das weitere Wachsen der Firmen verhin-
derte, zogen diese vor die Stadt. Ihre Gebäude vermietete man
fortan zu Wohnzwecken. Im Jahre 1914 beschloss der Rat, dem
Platz den Namen Glockengießerhof zu geben.

Bell-founder Court
Founders were among the oldest trades in Rostock. Among
the citizens were can and brass founders mentioned already
in the middle of the 13th century. However, casting of
large pieces was left mostly to migratory specialists who leased
the urban foundry for the completion of their mission. On
the backyard of the city forge on the Beginenberg
were already in 1696 such forges. In 1812 it was
sold. Foundries and limekilns were settled there. As
the small size of the court prevent the further growth of the
companies, these moved outside the town. The buildings were
leased henceforth for residential purposes. In 1914, the Council
decided to give the place the name of 'Glockengießerhof'.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 54°5'13" - E 12°8'33")

Item Code: demv119; Photograph: 4 August 2016
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt