On the side walls of the portal:
The lowest statues in the archivolts, adoration of the three Magi:
- Sankt Richard von Wessex / Saint Richard the Pilgrim, brother-in-law of Saint Boniface (Archbishop of Mainz) and father of Saint Willibald (Bishop of Eichstätt), Saint Winnebald or Winibald (Abbot of Heidenheim) and Saint Walburga (Abbess of Heidenheim (Wikipedia), with crown and sceptre.
- St. Willibald - Saint Willibald of Eichstätt (prob. Wessex c. 700 - Eichstätt 787 or 788),
bishop of Eichstätt; brother of Saint Winibald and Saint Walburga, and through his mother related to Saint Boniface, who ordained him to the priesthood and episcopacy
- St. Walburga / Saint Walpurga (England c. 710- Heidenheim 779) English missionary to the Frankish Empire;
abbess of the monastery in Heidenheim Germany; sister of Sts. Willibald and Winebald
- Sankt Wunibald / Saint Winibald (Wessex 701 - Heidenheim 761), founder and first abbot of Heidenheim (Wikipedia), shown with book and staff.
- Melchior, presenting gold.
- Madonna with Child.
In the archivolts are twelve statues of sitting prophets from the Old Testament.
- Caspar, presenting frankincense.
- Balthasar, presengin myrh.
Relief in the tympanum three representations of the Mother of God:
The tympanum is dated: "Anno domini m.ccc.lxxxxvi"
- Bottom: Mary on her deathbed, the twelve apostles pray for her.
- Center: Jesus carires Mary's soul in his arms. This rare representation suggests the patronage of the church, the Assumption of Mary into heaven.
- Top: Mary sits next to Christ in heaven. Left and right kneel the the two bishops who built the cathedral: Raban Truchseß von Wilburgstetten (right) and Friedrich IV. Graf von Oettingen (left).
Sources & Information
Location (N 48°53'31" - E 11°10'59")
Item Code: deby365; Photograph: 9 October 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.