On the façade and in front of the former Abbey Church are several saint's statues. The patron saints of the church were St. Mary together with Simplicius, Faustinus and Beatrix.
- (in a niche in the top gable) Saint Benedict (c.480-543), Patron saint of Europe and students; founded communities for monks. Benedict's main achievement is his "Rule of Saint Benedict", containing precepts for his monks
He is flanked by two angels on pilasters, with a bishop's mitre and a ?? respectively
- (in a niche left of the entrance) s. simplicius m.
- (in a niche right of the entrance) s. faustinus m.
- (in a niche on the ground floor) s beatrix m
Saints Simplicius, Faustinus and Beatrix (or Beatrice, Viatrix), a group of Christian Martyrs who died in Rome during the Diocletian persecution (302 or 303) (Wikipedia).
At the stairs, left originally only for men, with three male saints:
- (on the balustrade at the far left) Unknown male saint.
- (on the balustrade of the staircase, left) Christus / Christ
- (at the entrance gate, left) St. Joachim (?), with a book.
Right, originally only for women, with female saints:
- (on the balustrade at the far right) Unknown female saint with child and rabbit, probably Madonna with Child (cf. Madonna and the rabbit, the painting by Titian).
- (on the balustrade of the staircase, right) Unknown female saint.
- (at the entrance gate, right) St. Anne (?) with two children (Sankt Anna selbdritt).
- Above the entrance is the coats-of-arms of Engelbert Kinbacher, abbot of Amorbach who had the church rebuilt by the architect Maximilian von Welsch.
The façde is inscribed with two chronograms for 1746:
qVICVnqVe oraVerIt In LoCo Isto
aVDI preCes Istas De habItaCVLo
tVo aCapropItIare ILLIs. z.para g.w.z.
EngeLbertVs abbas has æDes Deo et beatæ
VIrgInI eXaLtatæ saCras fVnDItVs Ita ereXIt
Anton Grimbacher from Mergenthal sculpted the statues of Simplicius, Faustinus, Beatrix and two angels.
Georg Adam Guthman made the statues of Benedict and the two angels and the coat of arms.
- Anton Grimbacher of Grimbach, 18th century German sculptor from Mergenthal.
- Georg Adam Guthmann, 18th century German sculptor from München
Sources & Information
Location (N 49°38'35" - E 9°13'9")
Via the links below you can find the position:
Item Code: deby291; Photograph: 29 September 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.