Deutschland

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
München
Stadt München

Bayern

Theatinerstraße 8

Allegorische Figuren für die Wiederaufbau von Deutschland

Allegorical figures of the Reconstruction of Germany

Elmar Dietz & Roland Friederichsen
1951

München /  Allegorische Figuren für die Wiederaufbau von Deutschland   München /  Allegorische Figuren für die Wiederaufbau von Deutschland

Description

Four statues on the lower façade, each statue stands on a gold-coloured globe and has a gold-coloured attribute in its hand.

Annotation

The buiding is the eastern part of the former Bayerische Hypotheken- und Wechsel-Bank on Kardinal-Faulhaber-Straße 10. This wing was designed by Adolf Abel and completed in 1953.

Translation from Frauen in Bronze und Stein- München:

On 14 June 1950 the sculptors Elmar Dietz and Roland Friederichsen, together with the Directorate of the Bayerische Hypotheken- und Wechsel-Bank, agreed about the ornamentation of the portal area of the bank building: two young women and two young men in an allegorical program showing the starting points of the reconstruction of Germany: The four pillars of society are symbolized by the "intellectual worker with scroll" as a sign of the creative and organizing mind, and by a "woman with ears" as an indication of the utilization of vegetative forces of nature, and the "manual worker with a compass", a sign of mastery of physical forces, and by a "woman, handing money" as a symbol of commerce.

Sculptors

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 48°8'24" - E 11°34'34")

Item Code: deby065; Photograph: 5 September 2010
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt