Statue of Christ is in the center of the west facade above the entrance, the two statues of the apostles are to the left and right of Christ and four around each of the two west towers.
Christus by Fritz Schaper
Southwest tower: unknown Apostle.
Northwest tower: unknown Apostle.
The following apostles (and other biblical figures) are depicted:
Andreas by Ludwig Manzel
Bartholomäus by Alexander Calandrelli (NW tower)
Jakobus Maior by Ernst Herter
Jakobus Minor by Adolf Brütt
Johannes der Täfer by August Vogel
Moses by Gerhard Janensch
Paulus by Ernst Herter
Petrus by Ludwig Manzel
Philippus by Alexander Calandrelli (NW tower)
Simon Zelotes by Johannes Pfannschmidt (NW tower)
Thaddäus by Max Baumbach (SW tower)
Thomas by Adolf Brütt (SW Tower)
Sculptures at the Berlin Cathedral
The Berlin Cathedral has an extensive sculpture program which is shown on this website in seven different pages.
We visited the Cathedral on 31 August 2022. Because of construction works it was not possible to make photos of several of the statues.
- Max Baumbach (Wurzen 1859 - Berlin-Wilmersdorf 1815),German sculptor (Wikipedia).
- Adolf Brütt (Husum 1855 - Bad Berka 1939,
- Alexander Calandrelli (Berlin 1834 - Lankwitz 1903),
German sculptor of Italian descent
- Ernst Herter (Berlin 1846 - Berlin 1917),
- Ludwig Manzel (Kagendorf, Vorpommern, 1858 - Berlin 1936),
German sculptor and painter
- Friedrich Pfannschmidt (Berlin 1864 - near Pierre-Morains, France, 1914),
- Fritz Schaper (Alsleben (Saale) 1841 - Berlin 1919), German sculptor (Wikipedia).
- August Vogel (Flensburg 1859 - Berlin 1932),
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 52°31'8" - E 13°24'2") (Satellite view: Google Maps)
Item Code: debe112; Photograph: 31 August 2022
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.