Námĕstí Augustina Nĕmejce / Plzeňská
(Kostel sv. Jana Nepomuckého)
Místo narození Svatého Jana Nepomuckého
Birth Place of Saint John of Nepomuk
Nepomuk c. 1345 - Praha 1393
confessor of the queen of Bohemia, refused to divulge the secrets of the confessional. At the behest of King Wenceslaus of Bohemia he was thrown from the Charles Bridge in Prague and drowned. John of Nepomuk is patron saint of bridges
Plaque with a relief of St. John of Nepomuk and in twelve languages the text "The Martyr Saint John was born here".
NB The Japanese text is not a transcription, but a Google translation.
zde narodil se svatý jan mučedník
hic natus sanctus ioannes martyr
hier wurde der heilige johann
the martyr saint john
was born here
ici est né saint jean martyr
aquí nació san juan mártyr
qui é nato san giovanni martire
aqui nasceu o são joão mártir
здесь родился святой ян мученик
tu urodził się święty jan męczennik
itt született szent jános vértanú
The church of St. John of Nepomuk in Nepomuk is built on the place where according to the legend the birth house of St. John of Nepomuk stood. In 1639 on that location a church was built, which was consecrated to St. John the Baptist. After the canonisation of St. John of Nepomuk in 1729, this church soon became to small, and in 1734, the church had to make place for the new baroque church, built by Kilián Ignác Dienzenhofer and which was devoted to St. John of Nepomuk.
Statues of Saint John of Nepomuk
The figure of Saint John of Nepomuk is often encountered in Central and Eastern Europe, including the Czech Republic, Italy, Germany, Poland and Lithuania.
He is usually portrayed with
As additional figures there are often one of more little angels, respectively
- a halo of five stars, commemorating the stars that hovered over the Vltava River on the night of his murder, also is said that the five stars are supposed to symbolize the five letters of Latin word "tacet", which means "silent".
- a priestly dress
- the palm of martyrs
- a large crucifix, to which he is usually looking.
There are several sites listing statues of Saint John of Nepomuk:
- indicating silence by a finger over the lips,
- with a crucifix
- with the bible.
- Saxa Loquuntur, Svatý Jan Nepomucký: Svatojánské sochy v českých a moravských krajských mĕstech, in Czech
- Nepomuki, in Polish.
- Treffpunkt Schoener-Reisen, Sankt Nepomuk, der Brückenheilige , in German.
- Gerhard Eichinger, Nepomuk Sammlung [➝ Geschichte(n) ➝ Nepomuk Sammlung], in German.
- Wedigo von Wedel, www.brueckenheilige.de, in German.
Location (N 49°29'6" - E 13°34'51")
Item Code: czpl021; Photograph: 17 February 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.