Bridge over the Otava River. It is the oldest bridge on the area of Czech Republic and one of two oldest bridges in Central Europe. It was probably built in the 3rd quarter of the 13th century. On the bridge are four baroque statues. The flood of 2002 removed railings and some of the statues. After the flood, general reconstruction was started, the railings and statues were repaired and copy of one statue which was lost was created. All the statues are copies from 1997, the originals are in the museum.
Sv. Antonín Paduánský
On the base the year 1770 and on the socle a coat of arms.
St. Anthony of Padua
born Fernando Martins de Bulhões, (Lisbon c. 1195 - Padua 1231), priest and friar of the Franciscan Order, known for his preaching and expert knowledge of scripture
Svatý Jan Nepomucký
On the socle with the coat of arms of Pisek, and flanked by two angels, both with a shield with text "ČAS k mlčení" (Time to silece). One of the angels was lost and replaced in 2004 by a new one by the sculptor Kačer.
St. John of Nepomuk
(Nepomuk c. 1345 - Praha 1393), confessor of the queen of Bohemia, refused to divulge the secrets of the confessional. At the behest of King Wenceslaus of Bohemia he was thrown from the Charles Bridge in Prague and drowned. John of Nepomuk is patron saint of bridges (Wikipedia)
Sv. Anna Samotřetí
AnnaSelbdritt, The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne - is a subject in Christian art, showing Saint Anne with her daughter, the Virgin Mary, and her grandson Jesus. This type has been quite popular in Germany from the 14th century
Crucifix with three statues, St. Mary, St. Mary Magdalen and St. John the Apostle. The statues are from the workshop of the 18th century sculptor Jan Hammer, the bronze crucific was cast by Václav Hanzl.
Calvary or Golgotha was the site, outside of ancient Jerusalem's early first century walls, at which the crucifixion of Jesus occurred. In religius sculpture, a calvary is a type of monumental public crucifix with two or more adjoining statues
to town center
P.S. 12 September 2012 was a rainy day… The photos are therefore not as good as usual.
Bridges with four or more statues
Mostly in Central Europe there are a number of bridges with several statues of saints. The presence of the saint statues on bridges can be explained by saying that "even strangers passing by could worship God in public through His saints, to the disgrace of heretics" (quote of the investors of the bridge at Náměšť nad Oslavou, source).
A statue of the "bridge saint" Saint John of Nepomuk, is usually - but not always - included. In a few cases, bridges show secular statues (f.i., Hamburg). The overall prototype was Ponte d'Angeli, Rome.
Bridges with four or more statues are:
For bridges with two statues, see the catchword list "Bridge with statues".
- Praha, Karlův most (Charles Bridge), (oldest 1683, most 18th century)
- Náměšť nad Oslavou
- Würzburg, Alte Mainbrücke, 1720-30
- Berlin, Schloßbrücke, 1847-57
- Žďár nad Sázavou
- Kłodzko, Most gotycki Św. Jana, 1655-1714
- Brtnice, Most pod zámkem, 1711-18
- Brtnice, Most na náměstí, early 18th century
- Hamburg, Kornhausbrücke (statues of discoverers, two destroyed).
- Jaroměřice nad Rokytnou, 1714-16
- Unknown 18th century sculptor
- Jan Hammer, 18th century sculptor from Čimelice.
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 49°18'35" - E 14°8'44") (Satellite view: Google Maps)
Item Code: czjc019; Photograph: 12 September 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.