(Seekapelle zum Hll. Georg und Unserer Lieben Frau)
Hll. Georg, Michael und Hilarius
Sts. George, Michael and Hilarius
Two statues in niches of the church's nave, flanking the tower:
- (West) St. Michael - the Archangel, the field commander of the Army of God. He is often depicted slaying Satan represented as a dragon, and with a shield with text quis ut deus (Who is like God?, a literal translation of the name Michael).
- (East) St. Georg - (ca. 275/281 - 303), Roman soldier from Syria Palaestina and a priest in the Guard of Diocletian, one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers. He is immortalized in the tale of Saint George and the Dragon
Statue above the entrances:
- (West) St. Hilarius, Pope from 19 November 461 to his death in 468 (Wikipedia). Oirignally he was with St. George patron saint of the church.
- (East) Unknown, or also St. Hilarius.
The church, founded 1445, was enlarged in 1644 and renovated 1696/98 after designs of architect Klaus Reiniger.
Sources & Information
Location (N 47°30'11" - E 9°44'49")
Item Code: atvo001; Photograph: 4 October 2014
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt