The front façade of the baroque Mariahilferkirche (Mary's Help Church) shows several statues:
On the fronton the three archangels:
- St. Gabriel, Archangel, with a lily.
- St. Michael, slaying the evel in the shape as the devil Lucifer with a snake.
- St. Raphael, Archangel, with a staff.
- above the door: St. Mary and Child, both with large crowns, flanked by two angels.
- niche left: Sankt Franziskus / Saint Francis of Assisi born Giovanni Francesco di Bernardone (1181/82 - 1226), an Italian friar and preacher. He founded among others the Franciscan Order. Saint Francis is one of the most venerated religious figures in history
- niche right: / St. Antonius von Padua / Saint Anthony of Padua born Fernando Martins de Bulhões, (Lisbon c. 1195 - Padua 1231), priest and friar of the Franciscan Order, known for his preaching and expert knowledge of scripture
- Philipp Jakob Straub (Wiesensteig 1706 - Graz 1774),
Sources & Information
Location (N 47°4'22" - E 15°25'59")
Item Code: atst095; Photograph: 6 September 2016
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.