Bronze statue of Columbus wearing a coat with three-quarter length sleeves and a hat.
erected and dedicated by the federation of
italian-american societies and the public
spirited citizens of the city of buffalo
On the three other sides carvings of the ships of Columbus' fleet.
Erected and dedicated by the Federation of Italian-American Societies and the public spirited citizens of the City of Buffalo. Unveiled October 12, 1952.
Formerly located in downtown Buffalo, now located in Columbus Park, near the Peace Bridge. The statue commemorates the creation of Columbus Day, an effort led by Italian-Americans from Buffalo.
Sources & Information
- E-mail by Mark Schreiner of Wilmington NC, whose father, a stonecutter, was one of the workmen who installed the statue in the 1960s or 1970s, 31 January 2001
- Chris Andrle, Buffalo Historical Markers and Monuments.
- Photo: Ray Petti, posted 10/1/2006. See Waymark on Waymarking.com.
- Smithsonian American Art Museum, SIRIS (Smithsonian Institution Research Information system).
Location (N 42°54'4" - W 78°53'34")
Item Code: usny30;
Added: 11 August 2003
/ Updated: 5 September 2009
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.