The monument consists of a concrete foundation, a base stone and a pedestal stand made of pink and white 'Stoney Creek' granite. The pedestal stand is 6½' high and the bronze statue above the pedestal stand is 8½' high.
The Columbus monument was dedicated n Columbus Day, October 12, 1941. It was financed with both city and federal funds. The Columbus statue was cast in a bronze foundry in Long Island, New York.
Over five thousand people, including high officials witnessed the presentation, unveiling and acceptance of the Columbus statue on October 12, 1941. Some dignitaries among the participants were, United States Senator Francis T. Maloney, Governor Robert A. Hurley, Congressman Lucien Maciora, Mayor George J. Coyle, Attorney General, Francis A. Palotti, State Treasurer, Frank M. Anastasio and many other notables. There was also a parade before the presentation.
Sources & Information
- Photo and Information: Al Iorli, of Palm Springs, Calif., 1 July 2005
Location (N 41°40'22" - W 72°46'52")
Item Code: usct14;
Added: 2 March 2006
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.