Bronze bust of Columbus on a white marble column in an a octogonal well.
In the base of the column a commemorative inscription is included and the legend explaining the four scenes carved on the column:
- Columbus gives to his son to moguereño Juan Rodríguez Cabezudo.
- Columbus talks with the Brothers Niño in the port of Moguer on the Tinto, with carabela Niña in the background.
- Columbus embarks in the Niña with the moguereños sailors.
- Columbus thanks for the return of the trip in the church of the monastery of Santa Clara.
The monument is located only a few meters from the monastery of Santa Clara, where Columbus several times met abbess Ines Enríquez to obtain her support in the organization of the voyage.
The bust was unveiled 3 August 2006 on the 514th anniversary of the departure of Columbus' three ships.
Sources & Information
- Huelva información, two articles, September 2006.
- Moguer rinde mañana homenaje a Cristobal Colón en el 514 aniversario de la salida de las Carabelas, Lukor.
- Wikipedia, Monumento a Colón (Moguer).
- Photo: JMFD. Wikipedia-Commons .
- Detail photo: Ana Icasati Weidemüller, 20 April 2009. See Ana Icasati W.'s photostream on Flickr.
Location (N 37°16'32" - W 6°50'21")
Item Code: esan009;
Added: 25 November 2006
/ Updated: 6 January 2011
© Website: René & Peter van der Krogt
Your banner here? Click for information.