Statues - Hither & Thither
Monument Street 10
Hermann Heights MonumentArminius (Hermann der Cherusker)
17 BC-21 AD
a chieftain of the Germanic Cherusci tribe who commanded an alliance of Germanic tribes at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD,
Alphons Pelzer & W.H. Mullins Company
In F.L. und T.
von den Hermanns-Söhnen
der Vereininten Staaten
ihres großen Vorfahrens
NATIONAL - GROSS - BEAMTE
Ex N. Gr. Praes. fritz dickroeger.
N.Gr. Praes. paul gebhard.
1. N. Gr. Vice-Praes. Josef Santa.
2. N. Gr. Vice-Praes. albert paegel.
N. Gr. Secr. richard schaefer.
N. Gr. Schatzm. conrad w. walther.
GROSS - BEAMTE v. MINNESOTA
Ex. Gr. Praes. F. C. Neumeier
Gr. Praes. paul haesecke.
Gr. Vice-Praes. wm. foelsen.
Gr. Secr. herm. cirkler
Gr. Schatzm. e.f. lemke.
christ. figge. gust. pflaum
DIRECTORIUM - RATH
herm. schnell. herm. vogt
carl herrmann. john kunz
Unter der Leitung des Bau-Comites|
H. Orlemann Wm. Theobald
Julius Berndt Architekkt [!]
Vollendet durch Baumeister
Enthüllt ANNO DOMINI
25 Sept. 1897
Pionir. Sänger. Patriot. Soldat.
Geb. in Weiden in Saxen am 29. Dez.  Gest. in Young Amerika Minn. am 5 Sept. 1889
Gewidmet in F. L. & T.
Zum Andenken an
AUGUST ZIEGLER, MORITZ WALTER,
HEINRICH ORLEMANN, HEINRICH GUTHUNZ,
L. KOHLMANN, E. RICHTER, K. NÄHER,
EDWARD HAMMER, & OTTO WEIS,
Gründer der Washington Loge, No. I O.D.H.S.
im Yahre 1870, in St. Paul, im Staate Minnesota.
Erinnerung an der Grundung
zum andenken an
JOH. CHRISTOPH FRIEDRICH
gewidmet zu seimem [!] hundertsten todestage von
an den herold der freiheit auf geistigem
FRAU BERTHA GEBSER,
new ulm, may den 9ten 1905.
"In F. L. und T." = In Freundschaft, Liebe und Treu, trans. In friendship, love and fidelity
O.D.H.S. = Order der Hermann's Söhne
(N.) Gr. (Vice)Praes] = (National) Grand (Vice)-President
Schatzm. = Treasurer
HERMANN MONUMENTHermann (Arminius) of the Cherusci tribe led several German tribes
in battle against their Roman conquerors in 9 A.D., and defeated
them in the hills of Teutoburg Forest near present Detmond. To later
unified Germany, Hermann symbolized liberty and unity. In 1874
Ernst Von Bandel completed a colossal German Monument dedicated
to Hermann near the Teutoburg site.
As a project of the National Sons of Hermann Lodges in the United
States, Julius Berndt, New Ulm architect and county surveyor, conceived
the building of a similar monument half the size in New Ulm. Local
Lodge No. 21 acquired the New Ulm site in 1885 and named it
"Hermann Heights." Berndt completed the base and cornerstone in 1888.
Alphonso Pelzer, of Salem, Ohio, created a plaster model 32 feet hight.
W.H. Mullins Company made the statue in copper sheet sections:
abutting edges were riveted to metal strips, part of the interior bracing.
The interior framework was produced by Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Works.
The 32 feet statue arrived boxed at New Ulm in 1890. Inadequate
financing though slowed the monument construction, some lodges protesting
assessment because of the site: "a secluded country place somewhere
in the wilds of Minnesota." In 1894 the statue was mounted on the
pedestal above the uncompleted monument where, with an overall height
of 102 feet, it was "plainly seen from Sleepy Eye and other
neighboring towns." Completed in 1897 the dedication was a three
day celebration. Total monument cost was about $24,000.
With persistent effort by Otto Oswald and other local Sons of Hermann,
New Ulm was given the monument and site in 1929. In 1972 Hermann
Monument became a registered Minnesota Historic Site; in 1973 it was
designated a Registered National Historic Place.
lmkerected 1976 by brown county historical society with the otto oswald memorial fund
Known officially as the "Hermann Heights Monument" (and unofficially as "Hermann the German"), the New Ulm Hermann has a total height of 102 feet. The statue itself is 32 feet tall and is constructed much like the Statue of Liberty, with hammered copper over an iron armature.
In 2000 the U.S. Congress designated the Hermann Heights Monument to be an official symbol of all U.S. citizens of German heritage.
Your banner here? Click for information.