Lietuva

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Kaunas
Kauno apskritis

K. Donelaicio gatvė 64
(Knygnešių kiemelis - Book Smugglers Yard)

Lietuvos Mokykla 1864-1904

Lithuanian Schooling 1864-1904

Petras Rimša
Siauruju Geležink Centr Dirbtuvės (Kaunas)
1940

Kaunas /  Lietuvos Mokykla 1864-1904   Kaunas /  Lietuvos Mokykla 1864-1904

Description

Sculpture of a woman with a spinning wheel and teaching a girl to read Lithuanian.

Inscription(s)

LIETUVOS MOKYKLA 1864-1904
LITHUANIAN SCHOOL 1864-1904

Signature

P. Rimša

Annotation

The idea for this was originally created in 1906 (as a painting?), the model was the sculptor's mother Magdalena Rimšienė Soon it became the national symbol for the Lithianian schooling in the period 1864-1904. In 1939 the sculptor made the present copy.

Knygnešių kiemelis - Book Smugglers Yard

Kaunas - Knygnešių kiemelis

During the summer of 1863 Tsar Alexander II, issued Temporary Rules for State Junior Schools of the Northwestern Krai, ruling that only Russian-language education would be allowed there. In 1864, the Governor General of the Vilnius Governorate, Mikhail Muravyov, ordered that Lithuanian language primers were to be printed only in the Cyrillic alphabet. Muravyov's successor, Konstantin Kaufman, in 1865 banned all Lithuanian-language use of the Latin alphabet. In 1866, the Tsar issued an oral ban on the printing or importing of printed matter in Lithuanian. Although formally, the order had no legal force, it was executed de facto until 1904.

Book smugglers transported Lithuanian language books printed in the Latin alphabet into Lithuanian-speaking areas of the Russian Empire, defying the ban. Opposing imperial Russian authorities' efforts to replace the traditional Latin orthography with Cyrillic, and transporting printed matter from as far away as the United States to do so, the book smugglers became a symbol of Lithuanians' resistance to Russification.

With help of these books the children were teached the Lithuanan language by their mothers at home (Wikipedia).

35 years after the withdrawal of the ban, in 1935, the city of Kaunas created a memoral yard to commemorate the ban: a wall with the names of the known book smugglers and the book disseminators and three free standing sculptures:

  1. The Book Smuggler, by Juozas Zikaras, 1928.
  2. Lithunian schooling, by Petras Rimša, 1940
  3. The Parable of the Sower, by Bernardas Bučas, 1939.

The Lithuanian schooling sculpture and the wall were removed by the Soviets in the 1950s and re-placed in 1994 and the 90th anniversary of the withdrawal of the ban. The two other sculptures stayed during the Soviet period.

Kaunas - Knygnešių kiemelis

Sculptor

Tags

Location (N 54°53'59" - E 23°54'39")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: lt148; Photograph: 14 July 2013
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt