The fountain is made up of a circular tank of ten meters in diameter, with a rocky central island from which a pedestal with vegetable motifs, including algae and palm trees, raises. The pedestal supports a second scale, shaped like a shell; Around it are placed three winged putti with the symbols of Fame, History and Recognition, sculpted by Bedotti, spaced by as three stone medallions, two with text and one with a portrait.
The fountain was inaugurated on 22 November 1885, coinciding with the completion of the construction work of the city aqueduct. Both the fountain and the aqueduct were commissioned by Ulderico Levi, an illustrious statesman from Reggio. The sculptural parts of the fountain are by Ilario Bedotti and Guglielmo Fornaciari; the project was under supervision of the engineer Domenico Lanza. From the city chronicles of that time we learn that in the book of Storia supported by the corresponding putto were dated the dates 1707-1797, the date of birth and death of Ferrari Bonini.
Fama / Fame
The trumpet has disappeared
Riconoscenza / Recognition
Storia / History
GIUSEPPE FERRARI BONINI
che nel secolo xviii
con nuovo acume di carit7#224; civile
soccorse in perpetuo del proprio censo
l'onesti in...estre e l'ingegno operoso
dr... viri reggiani
affinelle? non un vanio o una gloria
mancasse per indigenza alla patria
dona ..ori municipio dell' acquedotto
SOCIETE METALLURGIQUE LYONNAISE
il giorno xxii novembre
- Ilario Bedotti (1834-1897),
- Guglielmo Fornaciari (1858 - 1930),
Italian sculptor from Reggio nell'Emilia.
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 44°42'4" - E 10°37'48")
Item Code: iter202; Photograph: 14 May 2017
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt