Hexagonal column of 4 m high, illustrating the history of Llandudno. The aim was to provide a vehicle for an historical narrative in the form of a vertical timeline.
From top of sculpture downwards, each series staring with the side facing Conway Road (south - the left photo here above) (except nos. 8 and 9):
Steel: Crown: veiled reference to Llandudno 'Queen of Welsh Resorts' Water and wave design.
Steel: Sun Motif: Future optimism
Bronze relief: North Wales Theatre: the dates 1999-2000, Welsh National Opera, October Fest
Cast iron: Llandudno's Second Pier: Built in 1875. Example of Victorian confidence in the future.
Bronze relief: Railway Arrived: In 1858 bringing people from Northern England.
Mosaic: Promenade of Hotels: Facing the Bay - St. Georges Hotel, first hotel, built in 1854.
Bronze relief: 18th Century Llandudno: A collection of copper miners cottages perched high on Orme.
Mosaic: Strong Christian Presence: Llandudno = Tudno's Church. St. Tudno is the founding 6th century saint. Palace of medieval bishops (the mosaic facing Conway Road is the fourth).
Bronze relief: Viking Raids: 9th, 10th, 11th century (the relief facing Conway Road is the fourth).
Mosaic: Roman Presence: Coins and pottery from the reign of Aurelian 270 AD have been found on the Orme.
Bronze relief: Bronze Age Copper Mining: Prehistoric mining for copper ore going back to 1800 BC.
Mosaic: Tropical Seas: 300 million years ago Llandudno area was a warm shallow sea. Calcium carbonate deposits were laid down - now carboniferious limestone rock forming the Orme.