College Road - Ffordd Y Coleg (Bangor University, Main Arts Building, Library)
Bishop William Morgan and Goronwy Owen
Two marble (?) statue in niches on the façades of the library wing of the the Main Arts Building of Bangor Univeristy.
SE: Bishop William Morgan (Tŷ Mawr Wybrnant, in the parish of Penmachno, near Betws-y-Coed 1545 - St. Asaph 1604), Bishop of Llandaff and of St Asaph, translator of the first version of the whole Bible into Welsh from Greek and Hebrew
NW: Goronwy Owen (Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf, Anglesey 1723 - Brunswick County, Virginia 1769), Welsh poet
Bishop William Morgan
The statues are difficult to photograph. Bishop Morgan, on the southeast side is visible from the town, which is too far, or from just below at Lower Penrallt Road, under a sharp angle. Owen's statue on the northwest side is partly covered by the new 1963 wing of the university and can only be seen from aside.
Do you know who the sculptor is? please let us know.