Statues - Hither & Thither

Great Britain
Isle of Anglesey - Ynys Môn


On the shore of the Menai Strait near St. Mary's Church

Horatio Nelson

Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, 1st Duke of Bronté, KB
Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk 1758 - o/b Victory near Trafalgar 1805
English Vice Admiral
Clarence Paget

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll /  Horatio Nelson   Llanfairpwllgwyngyll /  Horatio Nelson


Stone statue of Lord Nelson in naval uniform looking out over the Menai Strait.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll / Horatio Nelson


Incised on front of circular base of statue: NELSON


Signed: clarence paget sculpt 1873


The statue was erected and sculpted by Admiral Lord Clarence Paget, fourth son of the 1st Marquess of Anglesey. In 1853 he purchased Plas Llanfair and in 1873 had executed this statue of Lord Nelson to commemorate his death at Trafalgar in 1805. The statue was erected at the waters edge below the Plas as a landmark for mariners. It was unveiled 9 September 1873, as reported by the Wrexham Advertiser of 13 September 1873:

Unveiling the Nelson Statue at the Menai Straits A ceremony of a very interesting character took place on Tuesday, at Plas Llanfair, the seat of Admiral Lord Clarence Paget, K.C.B., being the unveiling of a gigantic statue which has been erected on the banks of the Menai Straits, after years of labour on the part of his lordship, and which is intended to serve as a landmark for the Swilly Channel, and the dangerous rocks in the locality. Notwithstanding most unfavourable weather there was a large attendance of visitors from all parts of Anglesey. A procession was formed soon after one o'clock, headed by the band of the Carnarvonshire Militia, and including a detachment of the naval reserve from Carnarvon. The high sheriff of the county, W. H. Owen, Esq., Lord Cowley, and other notabilities accompanied the procession to the statue, which was unveiled by Lady Clarence Paget, who dedicated it "to all mariners." A feu de joie was fired, and after a brief address from Lord Clarence Paget the party returned to the house, where a dejeuner was served. The Trinity Board steamer Knight Errant, Captain Kerr, was moored in the Straits, off Plas Llanfair, and the scene was further enhanced by a number of yachts gaily dressed out with bunting. After the luncheon Lord Clarence Paget addressed the company, detailing the description of the statue, which is built of concrete, its total height being forty-one feet. Speeches were also delivered by Earl Cowley and Sir Llewellyn Turner.

The statue of his father is nearby.

N.B. The 'official' name of this village is Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - a c. 1860 attempt to develop the village as a commercial and tourist centre. It is signposted however as Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll / Horatio Nelson


Sources & Information


Location (N 53°12'58" - W 4°11'36")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: gbwa110; Photograph: 29 July 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt