geo. a. lawson sc. 1871 / renovated and cast from original marble 1930 / by j.h. morcom
The statue in Sicilian marble was unveiled on 15 April 1873 by the sculptor, George Anderson Lawson. By 1928, the original statue had decayed and was in a ruinous condition, and a replacement in bronze was erected on 10 December 1930.
George Anderson Lawson (Edinburgh 1832 - ... 1904),