France

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Paris
Ville de Paris

Ile-de-France

Rue Saint-Honoré 284 (1e)
(Église Saint-Roch)

Statues de saints sur la façade de l'église Saint-Roch

Saint statues on the façade of the Saint Roch Church


1740/1868

Paris /  Statues de saints sur la façade de l'église Saint-Roch   Paris /  Statues de saints sur la façade de l'église Saint-Roch

Description

Six statues of saints on the façade of the church:

Annotation

The first stone of the Church of Saint Roch (Église Saint-Roch) was laid by Louis XIV in 1653, accompanied by his mother Anne of Austria. Originally designed by Jacques Lemercier, construction was halted in 1660 and was resumed in 1701 under the direction of architect Jacques Hardouin-Mansart, brother of the better-known Jules Hardouin-Mansart. Work was finally completed in 1754. The Jesuit style façade was started by Robert de Cotte and completed by his son in 1740, shortly before the consecration of the church.

The two statues on the upper level and the groups on the sides were commissioned in 1868 (Revue du XIXe siècle 11, p. 269-270):

M. le préfet de la Seine ne donne pas seulement du travail au maçons, il donne aussi du travail aux architectes, aux sculpteurs, aux peintres et aux graveurs. ... Le budget de travaux d'art commandés par la ville de Paris en 1868, pour la décoration des monuments, s'élève ... à la somme de 347,074 francs. ... Les travaux commandés sont, dans:
...
L'église Saint-Roch: deux groupes en pierre pour la façade, l'un par M. Victor Vilain, l'autre par M. Vital-Dubray; sainte Clotilde, statue en pierre pour la façade, par M. Loison; sainte Geneviève, statue en pierre pour la façade, par M. Aizelin.

Sources & Information

Tags

Locatie (N 48°51'53" - E 2°19'55")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: frif007; Photograph: 25 May 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt