Statues - Hither & Thither

France
Bischoffsheim
Bas-Rhin

Alsace

Rue Principale / Rue de l'École

Colonne de la Vierge

St Mary's column

The mother of Jesus Christ
(Wikipedia)
Jean Henninger
1953

Bischoffsheim /  Colonne de la Vierge   Bischoffsheim /  Colonne de la Vierge

Description

Red sandstone column with a statue of Saint Mary with Jesus. On the socle texts and the coat of arms of Bischoffsheim.

Inscription(s)

A LA GLOIRE
DE LA VIERGE
ET DE
L'ENFANT JESUS

la commune
de
bischoffsheim
1953

maire
legin alphonse
adjoint
gremmel charles
conseillers
baechtel joseph
beck joseph
brun marcel
haberer aurelie
heller aloise
jacod marinette
jost leon
kappier joseph
kirmann eugene
lehmann joseph
ostermann charles

Signed: a. sensfelder / architect
j. henninger
sculpteur

Bischoffsheim - Colonne de la Vierge

Marian, Holy Trinity and Plague Columns (Mariensäule, Dreifaltigkeitssäule, Pestsäule)

Marian and Holy Trinity columns are religious monuments with a statue of Saint Mary or a depiction of the Holy Trinity on top of a column. Around the base of the column are usually various saints. Marian columns were built to thank the Virgin Mary for intervention to quell the pestilence and other scourges. The first of those was erecrted in Vienna in 1667 (Mariensäule) and the second in 1679 also in Vienna at the Graben, the Pestsäule.
The purpose of the Holy Trinity columns was usually simply to celebrate the church and the faith, although the plague motif could play a role.
Erecting religious monuments in the form of a column surmounted by a figure or a Christian symbol was a gesture of public faith that flourished in the Catholic countries of Europe especially in the 17th and 18th centuries (Wikipedia)

Sculptor

Tags

Location (N 48°29'13" - E 7°29'18")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: fral032; Photograph: 17 April 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt