Eesti

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Tartu
Tartumaa

Munga / Vabaduse puiestee

Peeter Põld

Puru küla, Jõhvi vald 1878 - Tartu 1930
Estonian pedagogic scientist, school director and politician, first Estonian Minister of Education. As curator of the University of Tartu (1918-1925), he oversaw the university's transition to the Estonian language
(Wikipedia)
Ekke Väli
2008

Tartu /  Peeter Põld   Tartu /  Peeter Põld

Description

Bronze statue of Peeter Põld with a book under his arm, standing on a large bronze disk.

Inscription(s)

PEETER PÕLD
1878-1930
ühiskonna- ja haridustegelane
eesti esimene haridusminister
eestikeelse ülikooli rajaja
tartu linnavolikogu juhataja
Peeter Põld
1878-1930
Social and educational figure
First Estonian Minister of Education
Founder of the Estonian university
Tartu City Council President

Information Sign

Peeter Siegfried Nikolaus Põld

[Text in Estonian]

Peeter Siegfried Nikolaus Põld (12 Julu 1878 - 1 September 1930) was the first
Minister of Education of the Republic of Estonia, one of the founders of the first
Estonian-language university as well as its curator and pro-rector, founder and
head of the first Estonian-language upper secondary school, head of the City
Council of Tartu, one of Estonia's leading authorities on educational planning and
development, and a shaper of lour national pedagogical thought.
The monument to Peeter Põld was commissioned by the Ministry of Education
and Research, the University of Tartu and the City Council of Tartu on the 90th
anniversary year of the Republic of Eastonia and was unveiled on 1 December
2008.
The monument was created by sculptor Ekke Väli and architect Ain Rö öpson.

Annotation

The monument was designed by architect Ain Rö öpson.

Sculptor

Tags

Locatie (N 58°22'56" - E 26°43'25")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: ee094; Photograph: 8 July 2013
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt