Eesti

Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Tartu
Tartumaa

Ülejõe park

Friedebert Tuglas

Ahja 1886 - Tallinn 1971
Estonian writer and critic who introduced Impressionism and Symbolism to Estonian literature
(Wikipedia)
Edgar Viies
1986

Tartu /  Friedebert Tuglas   Tartu /  Friedebert Tuglas

Description

Bronze half figure on a granite basewith Tuglas' signature and dates 1886-1971.

Signature

E.V.

Information Sign

Friedebert Tuglas

[Text in Estonian]

Friedebert Tuglas (1886-1971) was an Estonian writer, critic, translator and
literary theorist. Because of his social democratic views and participation in the
revolutionary events of 1905, F. Tuglas was confined to Toompea prison for three
months, after which he lived as a political refugee in various European countries
for more than ten years. After his return to homeland, F. Tuglas became a leading
figure in Estonian literary circles. F. Tuglas' life achievement consists of his
bellestristic works on the one hand, and of his works on literary history and
criticism, on the other hand. He was among the foundersor leaders of several
societies that played an important role in Estonian culture, such as Noor-Eesti
(Young-Estonia), Siuru, Pallas, Tarapita, the nature preservation society. He was
also the founder and editor of several literary magazines, including "Looming".
The monument was erected to commemorate the 100th anniversary of
Friedebert Tuglas in 1986, its authors being sculptor Edgar Viies and architect
Andres Mänd.

Annotation

The architect of the monument is A. Mänd.

Sculptor

Sources & Information

Tags

Location (N 58°22'57" - E 26°43'36")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: ee090; Photograph: 8 July 2013
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt