Statues - Hither & Thither

Germany
Bergstein
(Gem. Hürtgenwald)
Kreis Düren

Nordrhein-Westfalen

Burgstraße
(Dorfplatz)

Sürches Mossel

The Dog of Sürchen

Legendary figure
Carl Weingartz & Laurentius Englisch
1992

Bergstein /  Sürches Mossel   Bergstein /  Sürches Mossel

Description

Statue of a running man waering a dog's skin.

Bergstein - Sürches Mossel

According to the legend, the troops of Charles V were in 1542 in Bergstein, to wage the Duke of Jülich. They should take the nearby castle of Nideggen. The leader tried to overpower the soldiers by dressing himself with a shaggy dog skin. In the attack, however, he was shot. Should this happen, he had sworn, that he wished to be the horror of the region for centuries. Since then, every day, he walked the Sürthgen (the path from the church in Bergstein to Zerkall) back to Nideggen in the shape of a dog, and doing a lot of mischief with the passers-by.

Information Sign

"Sürches Mossel"

Im Rahmen der Dorferneuerung in NRW wurde im Bereich der Pfarrkirche en
Dorfplatz angelegt. Eine große Anzahl von Bürgerinnen und Bürgern aus Bergstein
haben zusammen mit der Gemeinde Hürtgenwald diesen Platz konzipiert. Mit
finanziellen Mitteln des Landes NRW, des Kreises Düren, der Gemeinde Hürtgenwald
und einer beachtlichen Eigenleistung durch die Bürger von Bergstein wurde dieser
Dorfplatz erstellt.

In unmittelbare Nähe des Dorfplatzes beginnt ein Pfad nach Zerkall, der die
Bezeichnung "Sürchen" trägt. Seit langer Zeit erzählt man sich in Bergstein die Sage
von "Sürches Mossel". Das war auch der Grund für die Bürgerinitiative, diese
Sagenfigur auf dem Dorfplatz für die kommende Generationen in Bronze sichtbar zu
machen.

Zunächst konnte man für die künstlerische Gestaltung den bekannten Maler Carl
Weingartz aus Lendersdorf gewinnen. Leider verstarb der Künstler Carl Weingartz
bevor das Werk vollendet werden konnte. Obwohl mit vielen künstlerischen Arbeiten
überhäult, erklärte sich der Franziskanerpater Laurentius Englisch aus dem
Franziskanerkloster in Vossenack bereit, das Kunstwerk zu vollenden. So konnte dann
am 13./14.07.1992 die Bronzefigur auf dem Dorfplatz in Bergstein an dieser Stelle
festlich eingeweiht werden. Wie Sie aus der Sage entnehmen können, geht das Ereignis
für die Geschichte vom "Sürches Mossel" auf das Jahr 1542 zurück. 450 Jahre später
hat also "Sürches Mossel" nunmehr hier seine Ruhe gefunden.

"Sürches Mossel"

Within the scope of the village reform in NRW, is near the village church
a village square constructed. A large number of citizens from Bergstein
have designed this place together with the municipality of Hürtgenwald. With
financial resources of the state of NRW, the district of Düren, the municipality of Hürtgenwald
and a remarkable contribution by the citizens of Bergstein this
village square was constructed.

In the immediate vicinity of the village square begins a path to Zerkall with the
designation "Sürchen". For a long time the legend of "Sürches Mossel"
has been told in Bergstein. This was the reason for the citizens' initiative to
make the legendary figure for the coming generations in bronze visible on the village
square.

Then the wellknown painter Carl Weingartz from Lendersdorf was commissioned
for the artistic design. Unfortunately the artist Carl Weingartz died
before the work could be completed. Although occupied with many artistic works
the Franciscan father Laurentius English from the Franciscan monastery
in Vossenack declared himself willing to complete the work of art. So could finally
on 13/14 July 1992 the bronze figure be festively inaugurated here on the village
square in Bergstein. As you can see from the legend, the event of the
tale of "Sürches Mossel" goes back to the year 1542. 450 years later
"Sürches Mossel" has now found its peace here.

Sculptors

Tags

Locatie (N 50°41'44" - E 6°26'13")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: denw584; Photograph: 9 April 2017
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt