Bronze bust on a pedestal with a fountain. On two sides of the pedestal are reliefs, showing:
Josephinen-Stift: a nun with two children
The Dortmund Harbour: a man in a boat in front of a bridge
On the front is a sculpture group of three children, a boy is looking to the bust, a sitting girl is making a flower guirland for her benefactor and the third child is looking to her. On the back sits a worker working on some instrument.
die stadt dortmund
C. Janensch fec. / 1899
Heinrich Schüchtermann, originally a watchmaker in Dortmund, then founded together with the entrepeneur Kremer the "Schüchtermann & Kremer-Baum Aktiengesellschaft für Aufbereitung", an important mining supplier. The company produced coal processing and coke machines, steam machines, briquette, filters, turbines, pumps, fans and steel structures for the mining industry.
In addition to his entrepreneurial activities the Catholic Henry Schüchtermann was also socially and politically dedicated. In June 1884 Schüchtermann opened the "Josefinen-Stift", where under the guidance of nuns maids without a permanent job and residence and workplace were trained in manual and domestic work.
Schüchtermann was active on several committees for the connection of Dortmund to the Prussian canal system and was on 29 December 1890 elected honorary council.
- Gerhard Janensch (Zamborst, Pommern, 1860 - Berlin 1933),
Sources & Information
Locatie (N 51°30'45" - E 7°28'21")
Item Code: denw165; Photograph: 14 February 2011
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt