Statues - Hither & Thither

Site Search:
Jihočeský kraj

(Svĕt dam)

Jakub Krčín z Jelčan a Sedlčan

(Jelčany 1535 - Sedlčany 1604)
Czech Renaissance architect, engineer and fishpond builder
Jan Hendrych

Třeboň /  Jakub Krčín z Jelčan a Sedlčan   Třeboň /  Jakub Krčín z Jelčan a Sedlčan


Bronze statue of Jakub Krčín on a square pedestal with texts and maps of the fishponds near Třeboň: svĕt and rožmberk.

Třeboň - Jakub Krčín z Jelčan a Sedlčan Třeboň - Jakub Krčín z Jelčan a Sedlčan


na památku
českých rybníkářů
jakuba krčína z jelčan
štepánka netolického
a mikuláše rutharda
z malešova

mĕsto třeboň 2004

Jakub Krčín
z Jelčan
In commemoration of
the Czech fishpond builders
Jakub Krčín of Jelčany
Štěpánek Netolický
and Mikuláš Ruthard
of Malešov

Town of Třeboň 2004


The statue is of Jakub Krčín, but the monument commemorates, according to the inscription, also his predecessors Josef Štěpánek Netolický (c. 1460 - 1539; Wikipedia) and Mikuláš Ruthard.

Fish-pond cultivation in the Třeboň region

Fish-pond cultivation is closely related to the type of soil and landscape. A few of the fish-ponds represent the remains of former lakes, whilst others arose during the drying and settling of the countryside. Fish-ponds in the Třeboň region constitute 16 network units of water bodies, fed by the river basins of the Lužnice and Nežárka in most cases. The volume of the flooded areas, above the balance profile of the River Lužnice and below the mouth of the River Nežárka, is around 390 million m3 of water, though this can be increased to 50 million m3 on occasions. This volume is significant for the agro-biological stability of the drainage area as well as its climate. Further, the water stored in the ponds helps to protect against floods and against times of low flow. The majority of fish bred in the ponds consists of carp, the breeding of which has made this area famous for many hundreds of years.

The first fishponds in the Třeboň area may well have been established during the reign of Charles IV. One of the oldest and largest ponds in the Třeboň region, Dvořiště, is datable back to the second half of the 14th century (1363). In 1450, there were already as many as twenty ponds covering about 700 hectares.

The beginning of the 16th century saw a boom in pond creation. This period is closely connected with the famous pond builder Josef Štěpán Netolický, who was the first to systemise the Třeboň pond network. He also established the waterway 'Zlatá stoka' (Golden Canal) and created several new ponds (Koclířov, Tisý, Záblatský, Horusický, Opatovický, and Káňov, amongst others).
Mikuláš Ruthard of Malešov, his contemporary and successor, founded the elaborate pond network near Chlum u Třeboně which, thanks to excellent management of water supplies, even surpasses Třeboň's ponds. is now recognised as one of the most famous Bohemian pond builders of the 16th century.

After Mikuláš Ruthard, the organisation of the pond network was undertaken by 'the Immortal Regent', Jakub Krčín of Jelčany. In the service of the Rožmberks, he either built or extended many ponds up until 1590, including Svět, Spolský, Vdovec, Naděje, Skutek, Potěšil, Ptačí Blato, and Krčín, amongst many others. To prove his loyalty to the Rožmberk House, he built the Rožmberk pond, the largest pond in the Czech Republic, which was finished in 1590. Simultaneously, he built the artificial water channel 'Nová řeka' (New River) to take excess water from the River Lužnice to the River Nežárka. These works completed the main era of fish pond building, from whose heritage we have been profitting to the present day.
(Source: The Region of Třeboň information homepage).

P.S. During our short stop in Třeboň it was raining very heavy. The photos are therefore not as good as usual.


Sources & Information


Locatie (N 49°0'4" - E 14°46'18")

eXTReMe Tracker
Item Code: czjc001; Photograph: 12 September 2012
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt