Heiligenstatuen an der Franziskanerkirche
Saint Statues at the Franciscan Church
The Franciscan church and convent are built 1757-1779 as a Carmelite convent by an unknown architect. The iconographic program of the façade is therefore based on Carmel.
Above the door of the church is a rather small statue of the 'Prager Jesulein' (Infant Jesus of Prague). A depiction of Jesus in the Discalced Carmelite Church of Our Lady Victorious in Prague (Wikipedia).
In the façade are three niches with statues:
The Prophet Elijah
whose works from Mt. Carmel inspired the first Carmelite brothers
patron of the Carmelite order.
Husband of the Virgin Mary and the earthly father of Jesus Christ (in distinction to God, his "heavenly father") (Wikipedia).
St. Theresia of Avila
born Teresa Sánchez de Cepeda y Ahumada (Gotarrendura, Ávila 1515 - 1582), prominent Spanish mystic, Carmelite nun
Sources & Information
Location (N 48°12'20" - E 15°37'23")
Item Code: atno017; Photograph: 18 September 2016
Of each statue we made photos from various angles and also detail photos of the various texts.
If you want to use photos, please contact us via the contact form (in Dutch, English or German).
© Website and photos: René & Peter van der Krogt